Homeownership in the San Joaquin Valley is often out of reach for many low-income families because of the high cost of housing, lack of cash available or a monthly payment that is not affordable.
To meet the needs of those seeking homeownership, Self-Help Enterprises, in cooperation with Valley cities and counties, operates homebuyer assistance programs. The programs are designed to provide the additional financing needed to keep a first mortgage payment affordable to first-time homebuyers.
Self-Help Enterprises matches limited resources to low-income family needs through its homebuyer assistance activities. This is accomplished through teamwork – working with residents, local government, and elected representatives to identify needs, find funding resources, and competing for financial resources.
- Provide minimal 1% down payment
- First-time homebuyers OR have not owned a home in the last 3 years
- Qualify with a bank or mortgage company for a primary loan. Compare loans and payment options.
- Meet gross annual income requirements
- Complete a homebuyer education course
- May be newly constructed or an existing single family home
- Purchase price must be less than the maximum sales price limits
- Located in cities/counties with funding available for the program
- Property must be owner-occupied OR property must be vacant for at least 3 months
- House must pass health and safety inspection
Homebuyer assistance programs are subject to availability of funds and on a first-come, first-served basis.
“Thank you for making our family dream of owning a home come true! I have three kids and they have never had a room to their selves. They are so excited and grateful – their happiness is priceless!”
~ Joshua Gutierrez and Dulce Martinez
What are the benefits of the homebuyer assistance programs?
Down payment and closing cost assistance helps you lower your monthly mortgage payment.
Who qualifies as a first-time homeowner?
A first time homeowner is someone who has previously not owned a home or has not owned a home for the past three years.
Are there limits on the purchase price of a home?
Yes. The purchase price limits vary based on the city in which the home is based and total gross household income.
Self-Help Enterprises purchases new homes and existing homes in need of repairs. The acquired homes are repaired and brought up to code by professionals contracted through Self-Help Enterprises. These homes are then sold at an affordable price to qualified low-income families and to the general public. Secondary financing may be available depending on the community in which the homes are located.
FOR SALE – COMPLETE REMODEL: 621 S. PRATT STREET, TULARE (See Map)
Property Details & Features
- Sales Price: $188,000
- Bedrooms: 3
- Bathrooms: 2
- Living Area: 1,300 sq. ft.
- Garage: 1 Car Garage
- Built in 1965
- Lot size: 9, 138 (deep lot, enough to build a second small unit /granny flat)
- Home features include: alley access, kitchen island with seating for 4, pendant lighting, LED lighting throughout, covered front porch, tankless water heater, granite counter tops, and large master shower.
- Complete remodel with new laminate floor, bathroom floor tile, carpet in bedrooms, fence, appliances, garage door, heater/AC dual pack, roof, cabinets, ceiling fans throughout, complete re-wire, complete re-plumb, stucco, drywall, interior and exterior doors, windows, and front yard sprinklers and landscape.
For more information about this listing, please contact Melissa Valdez with Self-Help Enterprises at (559) 802-1621 or MelissaV@selfhelpenterprises.org.
Household must be under the following income limits per number of household members:
1. $50,160 2. $57,360 3. $64,560 4. $71,640 5. $77,400 6. $83,160 7. $88,920 8. $94,680
If you are interested in buying a home, please complete the interest form. A loan processor will contact you to complete a pre-screening application.
How can the Homebuyer Assistance Program help your buyers?
- Increases your buyers purchasing power
- Helps keep mortgage payments affordable
- May eliminate the requirement for Mortgage Insurance
- Your buyers will only need 1% of the purchase price to purchase their home
For program guidelines, click on the name of the city, county, or program below.
Below are additional resources:
- Realtor and Lender Guidelines
- HOME and CDBG Income Limits
- Sales Price Limits
- Submission Form / Lender Cover Letter
For more information about our Homebuyer Assistance Programs, please contact Juan Jaime at (559) 802-1642 or email@example.com.