Self-Help Enterprises has an opening for a Construction Superintendent in the Self-Help Housing
program – primarily focused in our northern service area (Fresno and north).
The Superintendent is responsible for the training and supervision of mutual self-help housing (New Homes) participants in the construction of their new homes. Superintendents will serve as a resource to participants throughout the construction process. In addition, the Superintendent is responsible for assisting with hands-on construction work and coordination of subcontractors, suppliers, and inspectors.
- Assure completion of homes according to specifications and plans within the allowable budget.
- Teach and demonstrate the techniques of house construction.
- Organize work crews of participants for maximum efficiency of labor and materials.
- Teach tool use and safety and maintain safe working conditions.
- Coordinate purchase of materials and scheduling of subcontractors with construction support staff.
- Maintain good group relations during construction.
- Engage in construction work on the houses when it does not interfere with instruction or supervisory duties.
- Must have general building skills; experience in carpentry, foundations and flatwork, and electrical is preferred.
- The ability and patience to teach construction skills to participants.
- The ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Travel within San Joaquin Valley service area required.
- Valid CA driver's license, current vehichle liability insurance and an appropriate vehicle for work use are required.
You're a passionate and energetic person who's excited to connect and work with local community members.
You love people, communities, and problem solving
You're always excited to meet someone new, listen, and help them find solutions to their needs.
You were born a people person
You enjoy interacting with people. You're a great listener, motivator and get excited to help others be more successful.
You like to teach by doing
You're a clear communicator, capable to sharing your technical skills with novices.
You're a creative and strategic thinker
You strive to come up with innovative and creative solutions to problems that seem impossible. You're capable of thinking about the big picture and coming up with a plan to execute.
You see something that can be improved and you go after it. You have a strong desire to help others and to be a part of something special at Self-Help Enterprises.