Community Development Specialist – Drinking Water / Sanitary Sewer
Self-Help Enterprises has an opening for a Community Development Specialist, based out of our Visalia or Madera office, with an emphasis on helping rural, low-income communities in obtaining safe drinking water and sanitary disposal systems.
Community Development Specialists work closely with low-income, rural residents to assist them in the development and management of community facilities. CD Specialists also assist communities in participating in regional water management and groundwater sustainability planning. It is a necessary function of this position to serve in an advocacy and technical assistance role regarding the needs of rural, low-income people for safe, adequate water and wastewater facilities.
- Conduct community surveys, needs assessments and related research to obtain community information and determine facilities needs and deficiencies.
- Research and package loan and grant applications, and administer funds
- Work with the community, water and sewer boards, and engineers to facilitate project planning and development
- Assist small, rural communities in complying with technical, managerial, and financial requirements necessary to properly operate water and wastewater systems.
- Educate disadvantaged communities (DACs) on the Integrated Regional Water Management Program and the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
- Attend IRWM and Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA) meetings to inform IRWM groups and GSAs of DAC needs in the region/facilitate DAC participation
- Attend community and Board meetings (some nights and weekends) to listen and to provide project technical assistance.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Ability to work with farmworker, low-income, and other community groups
- Ability to manage technical aspects of field work and grant writing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage time and work tasks with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to work effectively with public and private agency officials
- Strong facilitation and leadership development skills
You're a passionate and energetic person who's excited to connect and strategize with local community leaders.
You love people, communities, and problem solving
You're always excited to meet someone new, listen, and help them find solutions to their needs.
You were born a people person
You enjoy interacting with people–over email, on the phone, and in person. You're a great listener, motivator and get excited to help others be more successful.
You're not scared of a little paperwork
You're a clear communicator, ready to tackle new applications and proposals.
You're a creative and strategic thinker
You love analyzing data and identifying insights. You strive to come up with innovative and creative solutions to problems that seem impossible. You're capable of thinking about the big picture and coming up with a plan to execute.
You see something that can be improved and you go after it. You have a strong desire to help others and to be a part of something special at Self-Help Enterprises.