Community Development Specialist – Energy
Self-Help Enterprises has an opening for a Community Development Specialist based out of our Visalia office, with an emphasis on helping rural, low-income communities in obtaining clean and affordable energy sources and new technologies that support the development of healthy, thriving communities. The CD Specialist–Energy works closely with low-income, rural residents to assist them in the development, assessment and management of energy infrastructure improvements. CD Specialists are also responsible for managing community based programs and initiatives that support access to clean, affordable energy sources in the San Joaquin Valley. It is a necessary function of this position to serve in an advocacy and technical assistance role regarding the needs of rural, low-income people for clean, affordable energy solutions and infrastructures.
- Conduct community surveys, needs assessments and related research to obtain community information and determine facilities needs and deficiencies.
- Research and package loan and grant applications, and administer funds.
- Work with community residents, governing boards, utilities and engineers to facilitate project planning and development.
- Conduct community outreach and engagement activities to support community awareness and understanding of projects.
- Educate low-income rural residents about energy related issues and programs.
- Attend community and Board meetings (some nights and weekends) to listen, update and to provide project technical assistance.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
- Ability to work with farmworker, low-income, and other community groups
- Experience in energy equity or related programs
- Ability to manage technical aspects of fieldwork and project management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage time and work tasks with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to work effectively with public and private agency officials
- Strong facilitation and leadership development skills
You're a passionate and energetic person who's excited to connect and strategize with local community leaders.
You love people, communities, and problem solving
You're always excited to meet someone new, listen, and help them find solutions to their needs.
You were born a people person
You enjoy interacting with people–over email, on the phone, and in person. You're a great listener, motivator and get excited to help others be more successful.
You're not scared of a little paperwork
You're a clear communicator, ready to tackle new applications and proposals.
You're a creative and strategic thinker
You love analyzing data and identifying insights. You strive to come up with innovative and creative solutions to problems that seem impossible. You're capable of thinking about the big picture and coming up with a plan to execute.
You see something that can be improved and you go after it. You have a strong desire to help others and to be a part of something special at Self-Help Enterprises.